View Single Post
Old 01-07-2015, 04:22 PM   #7
Shannon Pettit

Profile:
Re: Neck pain causing headaches

Sounds like it could be an exertion headache. Good article on the subject (WFS): https://www.apexllc.org/articles/exertion-headaches/

Got my first raging mid-WOD exertion headache in November during death by front squats. (I'd had mild post-WOD headaches a handful of times in the past.) Took over a week for the residual headache to go away--I felt hungover.

Tried to do a WOD about 2 weeks post-headache and it flared up again during toes to bar.

Per the recommendation of my GP, I got an MRI with contrast to rule out anything serious. Everything came back normal.

Following the advice of the article, I gave myself a couple more weeks off, then started walking on the treadmill at home, then did a a few weeks on the rower to start pushing my heart rate back up. Just before Christmas I started doing WODs again at about 50%. Took a couple of weeks off for the holidays, we'll see how it goes.

I've also had massages, chiro, and acupuncture.

One of the coaches at my box had them too, and it can be a long slow road to recovery. It's frustrating because you want to rush and push yourself, but this is one situation where that can put you right back a square one.