View Single Post
Old 07-30-2009, 02:52 PM   #10
Mauricio Leal

Profile:
Re: Hiring CrossFit Trainers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Stevenson View Post
My knowledge is a culmination of 12 years of experience lifting and teaching people to lift, I think that is worth more than a 2day cert that can be taken at anytime without fear of failing, just a big hole in the pocket book. Though I now know how lucky I was to have such an awesome PE & Weight Lifting Coach, plus meeting some other great lifters and coaches through out my life who taught me all of this stuff.
As long as you've been lifting/teaching what did you think they were going to teach you? Some radically new techniques? I've had a similar background and, after reading a lot about the cert and CF methods in general, have decided I can do just fine without it. If you are good at what you do then that will be self-evident and being a CFA or having a CF Cert will be of no concern to anyone except those who put the CF brand on a pedestal when many people have been training this way without giving it a name for decades. I heap praises on the open source nature of this community and free exchange of knowledge and experience, but as far as the exercises themselves "there's nothing new under the sun, it's not what you do it's how it's done," meaning it's all about the style or combination (programming) and flow of movement patterns that make it unique, not the movements themselves. This is pervasive in many art forms.