View Single Post
Old 04-25-2006, 09:12 PM   #2
Bryan Veis

Profile:
I hope no one minds my chiming in, being pretty new at this (i.e., CrossFit). The company, C2, probably sees an opportunity to sell more equipment. Nothing wrong with that, it's good equipment (I have a Model D, and have rowed more than 2 million meters on it), and selling equipment is their business. They have tremendous customer service, too. I think it's a great company.

That being said, don't expect much out of the rowing community. I and a few others brought up CrossFit on their old forum (since shut down due to hacking, and replaced with an entirely new website) and got a lot of hostility. "It's dangerous!" "Stupid!" "Pointless!" etc. The rowing community, unfortunately, seems very insular, and the indoor rowing community even more so. There are a few people who have a broader view of fitness, but not many.

If you want to spend a lot of time on a rower, then C2 has a great deal to offer. They sponsor and/or coordinate a large number of rowing events. Between the company and some very knowledgeable rowers and coaches, they offer some excellent training programs -- the "Wolverine Plan" and the "Pete Plan" are two popular and effective plans, but unless you row on the water, you are really just spending a great deal of time training for a made-up "sport." While they talk about the health benefits (and they are real), there is very little effort to tailor training for health benefits or to measure them when they occur. Training is all about improving 2K times. The assumption is that improvements in 2k times are the major (and perhaps only) measure of improvement in fitness.