View Single Post
Old 03-26-2008, 06:52 AM   #8
Steven Quadros

Profile:
Re: Bullhooey in the Fitness Industry

Wow, thanks for all the amazing replies everyone; I'm certainly surprised that a midnight rant garnered such attention from some great people.

I am working at the wrong gym; unfortunately, it's a job, and it's related to what I want to be doing, as well as a great way to start working with people who are literally funnelled to me looking for help. The bad part, as everyone has hit upon, is that it's all about numbers, and my manager is, quite literally, an idiot. He doesnt' want me to train people, he wants me to give them "progressions that will keep them my client." To me, that sounds like a sales tactic, not a training tactic. I want them to be able to leave me and work out, and if that makes me a ****ty trainer, so be it, though, to be honest, I will also have shown them the value, by introduing variety and being motivating and fun, of a personal trainer.

It's not me to start someone on a stupid easy, and quite useless exercise like the leg press (according to the boss, even regular squats are hard on the knee, even if done with a 2 inch range of motion) so that I can "progress" them to eventually doing standing airsquats- in three months time mind you, according to him- and tell them "look what a good trainer I am, I got you from there to here." That's horrible, and I will not whore out my good intentions in any way, shape or form to maintain clients. If it costs me a living in this business, or my job at that club, so be it, there are more important things.

That being said, there might legimately be a reason I'd have to use the leg press, though I really doubt I'll find anyone who can't sit back in a chair.

I'm thinking about transfering clubs because of how pugnacious my manager was; outright telling me to forget about reading SS, PP, all the info I've gotten from working out myself, observing others, and reading this board and many others, especially since I know a few other managers who would like to have me aboard, even though I'm brand new to the company and industry.

Thank you all for listening to me ranting, the voracity with which I type is telling me that this is good to get off of my chest; four years studying English has taught me that sometimes writing can be more therapeutic than talking.

Finally, and please feel free to tell me if I'm asking too much, but how to you introduce variety into workouts without straying from some of the really useful moves? My basic plan was to scale and alter some CF workouts and use them on my clients, since many of them just need to get moving, and the workouts are quite varied, interesting, and, if scaled appropriately, challenging on all levels.