View Single Post
Old 02-06-2008, 08:34 AM   #10
Chris Jodlowski

Profile:
Re: Some advice for my wife please.

Hi Joe,

I went through something similar to what your wife is seeing when I first started cross fit a couple years ago. I was so hung up on weight that I started working out more than I needed to (skipping work days) and skimping on food, and over time, my performace dropped. So I started eating more and incorporating my rest days and, sure enough, my weight went up. It was pretty discouraging.

Then, I saw someone I hadn't seen in a few months, and her reaction was "OH MY GOD, WHAT HAVE YOU BEEN DOING, YOU LOOK INCREDIBLE." The entire time, I'd been dropping fat and replacing it with additional lean body mass, resulting in a relatively stable, or even slightly increasing overall weight. But I was so hung up on the weight part, I wasn't seeing the forest through the trees.

In simple terms, what you weigh doesn't matter. We've become so hung up on weight, that things like lean body mass and body fat percentage have become meaningless. Use time to your advantage. Convince her to give it a month or two of religious application of diet and crossfit. Take some measurements (hips, waist, thighs) and, if it makes her feel better, let her stand on the scale. Then go about your business for at least a month. Then take the measurements again and, if she wants after that, take the scale out and let her stand on it again. My bet is, when she sees the *actual* results, she'll think her weight is a little less important.

Let us know how it goes.