View Single Post
Old 04-02-2013, 11:56 AM   #4
Nick Horton

Profile:
Re: Snatch fail @ 185

Nice all around. That lift is sooooo close to being rock solid.

You probably do need to widen your grip. But I'm only say that because statistically, the VAST majority of lifters I coach (either in the gym, or in my seminars) have too narrow a grip. I can't see yours here, because of the plates being in the way and the angle.

I would suggest you slow the bar down from the floor. The acceleration curve (the graph of the change in speed) of the bar should be the OPPOSITE of deadlifts. That is, for most people, a deadlift starts off the floor as fast as you can yank it, then it slows down as you hitch and stream and spit to get that bar up.

On an olympic lift, the bar starts slow, then as it comes into the hip, it speeds up and up and up.

It's actually an exponential curve. AKA, go slow as all hell for as long as you can (about 2 inches from hip), THEN explode like a maniac. (That's over-simplified, but as a cue works really well.)

That alone will often fix the "jumping forward" problem for most beginners.

As for getting your shoulders to stay over the bar longer, I agree with that in principle, but I like a different cue.

The reason I don't tell lifters to "stay over the bar" (though true) is simply because they will almost always take that SOOOOOO literally, that they focus on pushing the shoulders forward, which causes the body to shift forward, and they come off the heels, and the entire lift ends up going forward... AKA, jumping forward is assured.

Instead, I like to tell people to get the hips UP and BACK as high as they can and KEEP THEM THERE for as long as you can. Biomechanically, this does the exact same thing. That's the point of saying stay over the bar... to be in a particular body position that includes the hips being high and back, the knees being back, the bar being pulling close to the body by the lats, and (relatively) the shoulders being over the bar.

To ME, the important thing is making sure that when you do this (what looks a heck of a lot like an RDL position when the bar is at the knee cap)... you don't fall forward onto the balls of the foot. Because once you do THAT... you're boned, LOL

Drive the hips high and back as you move the bar up... really focussing on the "back" part so that your weight stays on the heels - hard on the heels - to prevent the forward leaning tendency.

Combine that with keeping the bar slow from the floor to (almost) the hip... and then exploding like a crate of TNT will make you both stronger, faster, and in a better position all around.

This is all detail work that is only appropriate to you because you're clearly more advanced than many people starting out. I really like a lot of what I'm seeing on this.