View Single Post
Old 08-07-2010, 06:47 PM   #18
Andrew Carnovale

Profile:
Re: Realistic Strength Goals Without Gaining Weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Özgün Subasi View Post
Thanks for replies.

Since I just began to learn the snatch and c&j, I'm not doing them with heavy weights yet. We train the technique for 30-40 mins before the strength sessions. I hope I'll get the technique down soon enough so that we can integrate heavy snatch and c&js into my program.

Until I start to train heavy with snatch and c&js, I though I would concentrate on strength using a well-known strength program. The program is basically Starting Strength with variations on squats (hi-bar, front) and presses (sometimes behind the neck, sitting etc).

Could you recommend me other programs? I'm open to other ideas. I think my trainer would agree as long as I do some kind of squats and upper body movements in every training.

But I do the press/bench at least once, not exactly once. Every training, I do a lower body lift, then an upper body lift, then some assistance work. I do deadlifts only once a week. I hit the squats a bit lighter if I do deadlifts on the same day. E.g. my strength program of this week was as follows:

Monday: Squat, Bench Press, Chin-ups, Wrist Curls
Wednesday: Deadlift, Squat (light), Behind-the-neck Press
Friday: Front Squat, Bench Press, Weighted Dips, Wrist Curls
Saturday (at home): Dumbbell Lunges, Dumbbell Shoulder Press

About the wrist curls... I have some wrist pain (joint pain) during the snatch grip. Therefore my trainer said that the wrist curls and lots of wrist stretching could stabilize the wrists. What do you think about this recommendation?
To give you an example from personal experience. I followed Starting Strength strict for 3 months (My conditioning would be WODs on my off days. So I did 5 on 2 off). At a bodyweight of 145lbs through the entire three months my numbers went as such:

Squat (x5) 245-->300
Bench (x5) 155-->205
Press (x5) 115-->145
Clean (x3) 135-->185
Deadlift (x5) 245-->285

My advice would be to stay strictly on a program such as Starting Strength and use some of your other exercises as assistance work (i.e. Chin-ups, Wrist Curls, Weighted Dips, and Dumbbell Lunges). At your bodyweight it should take you a while to stall so long as your technique is right with no need to gain any weight. Best of luck!