Thread: Why MMA/KM?
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2007, 07:17 AM   #16
Becca Borawski

Profile:
Re: Why MMA/KM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bott View Post
I don't think alot of Jiu Jitsu schools "hack up bamboo with katanas"...
I've been to more than one that did -- and participated in it as well, in fact! I'm not saying it's not fun or a great physical activity, but that it's not teaching people self-defense.

Quote:
Plus alot of the "slow stilted" training is done because a: people are still learning it and would be insane to throw themselves at it 100% and b: you will quite likely get hurt. Imagine if an instructor said "Right today we are going to learn this throw here.... here it is now go at each other 100%." Would you put something on someone you are still learning 'full-on'? Worse yet would you care to receive it from someone you know is only learning the technique???
I never stated that any such thing would be appropriate. It would obviously be ludicrous to have a brand new student do 100% right out of the gate. Things should be taught in a progression. That doesn't mean that live training should not be part of a program, and is in fact essential for making sure someone knows how to apply something - be it for sport or self-defense.

Training things at slow speed with a cooperative training partner will indeed help you learn how to navigate the many moves of a certain technique. It's a great way to start to learn the move -- that's how Muay Thai, jiu-jitsu, boxing, etc are taught as well. But at some point, the technique has to be trained at real speed with an unpredictable opponent. For it to be useful to those law enforcement and others that you describe, the first time you try a technique in that fast and unpredictable manner can't be on the street.

Quote:
And very few "traditional" (I don't like that term as every martial art has changed over time) schools do much sparring, simply because sparring is not self-defense. Sparring is fighting, Jiu Jitsu is fight ending.
First off, you can spar with the scenario of one person attacking another.

Secondly, shouldn't fight ending be trained in a live fashion? Call it sparring, call it "alive," call it whatever you want -- if you don't train in that way, you have no clue if you can apply what you do.

www.crossfitla.com -- www.modernathena.com -- www.nerdjockprincess.com