View Single Post
Old 03-05-2006, 11:51 AM   #1
Pierre Auge

Profile:
I'm not sure how many of you watched UFC last night, but I was sure proud to see my fellow Canadians out there representing.

I would like my American friends to recognize something. The population of the United States is upwards of 230 million while the population of Canada is downwards of 30 million.

My point here is that although we have a much smaller pool of competitive Combat Athletes we are still able to produce a large enough number of qualitity fighters for the UFC to promote a USA vs. Canada fight night. The simple fact that we can produce enough competitive athletes to make noticeable competition is one thing. But the fact that our fighters can win against a much larger training pool I think shows well the character of the larger Canadian ideal.

While BJ Penn is a great fighter George St-Pierre dominated the final two rounds and thats with blood flowing pretty freely through his eyes.

Even more indicative of my point is not a winning fighter. David Loiseau stood (and turtled at some points) for 5 rounds with Rich Franklin. While I'm not saying that Loiseau did a good job fighting because in my opinion he did badly. The idea is that he got the living crap kicked out of him and at the end of the fight he was able to stand easily. Round after round he was pummeled by a much better fighter yet he kept in the fight even though he may have been doing more running then actual fighting. My point is he survived, and thats what I'm talking about. I think we will continue to see this type of determination come from Canadian fighters. We will see guys win and lose and stand up proud at the end out of shear will and determination. Determined not to let big brother beat the crap out of us and give him the satisfaction of us giving up.

Now if our Canadian Fighters can start to learn from our big brother the USA we might, with our harsh environmental conditions, technical expertise, scientific knowledge, and good ole' Canadian enginuity begin to produce Combatants the likes of which the world has never seen. CrossFit is about to explode in Canada. CrossFit will lead the change in how we think about fitness and conditioning, and how we beat the crap out of each other at the bar on a Sudbury Saturday night. And when it hits the ring look out, because the last thing anyone would expect to see is bunch of already competitive extemely fit CRAZY french Canadians showing up even more fit and more confident and more likely to beat the crap out of our American Friends at the UFC.

I want CrossFit to bare witness to this. We have underestimated the largest faction of competitive combat athletes and in fact athletes in general in what most Americans consider the frozen wasteland that is (not quite) Canada. French speaking Canada has no inhibitions about fitness and intelligient training. They do gymnastics, they perform the Olympic lifts without fear of being considered outlandish. They use proper techniques for plyometrics and calisthenics, they produce the highest ratio of competitive athletes in this country relative to their small population. They do CrossFit and they don't even know it. They do the exercises, they simply haven't put them together yet. I aim to show them what they've been missing.

Imagine men like George St-Pierre competing once he's been introduced to Fran, Helen or Cindy! These men would be terrible opponents to face and they already are.