View Single Post
Old 03-23-2016, 07:38 AM   #3
Sal Villani

Profile:
Re: Shoulder Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hollister View Post
Sal,

I've also had shoulder issues and know it's no fun. Overhead stuff sometimes causes issues, as well as muscle-ups and ring work. Pain in the same locations you described. I wouldn't be surprised if I have a tear in my right shoulder. But I only get the pain when I know my form is sloppy.

A couple questions for you:

1) Have you had any previous injury to your shoulder?

2) Do you ever notice pain in other areas of your body like lower back, hips, knees, or neck?

3) What kind of work do you do for your day job?

4) How do you think your posture is overall?

The reason I ask is, although I was having shoulder and neck problems, a therapist identified that my hips were rotated and out of alignment. When I fixed my hips, I fixed my shoulders.
Michael,
Thanks for your response. Over the past few months, I have narrowed down the cause or causes of my shoulder issues. To answer your questions.
1. No previous injury. I just felt muscle strain similar to tendonitis pain after a ring muscle up.
2. Yes. I have QL tightness and glute medius tightness on the left side. I had a hip replacement in 2007 which definitely caused some pelvic shifting and scar tissue in the glute area. I have been working beyond diligently to break up the scar tissue and keep loose.
3. Desk job, but I get up and walk around a few times per hour and stretch 2-3x per day (flexors, hams, etc.). Plus, I do some good mobility work at lunch a few times per week.
4. Posture is not great, but improving with increased mobility

Over the past 2 months, my shoulder was been healing to the point where I can do MUs without pain and go heavy-ish with presses. After each set, I do get some tightness forming in my traps and neck and immediately roll it out, and it has been working. I also have tightness in my lat and teres minor. I am constantly stretching and rolling.

I have also been rehabbing the smaller muscles in and around my shoulder and back as I've noticed they are weak. With all of its positives, I think that an area where CF is lacking (or at least CFers lack the education) is training other muscles that do not typically get trained during strength sessions. I believe there needs to be balance in order to avoid injury. It's a shame that sometimes injuries are the impetus to educating oneself on how to avoid injuries.

Sal