View Single Post
Old 04-20-2009, 07:51 PM   #1
Kristie Willhoit

Profile:
Kristie does 30 Days in "Paleo Lockdown"

Ok, new challenge, new log!!

I did my stint in The Zone, with pretty decent success. But I found it a bit restrictive and time-consuming (OK, I got a bit OCD about it), not to mention I think my husband thought I was a little neurotic at times, lol!

So it was suggested that perhaps Paleo would be a better way to go (Thanks, Laura Kurth!), and so here begins my attempt. I started today.

"The Rules"

1. This is NOT strict Paleo, but rather "loose Paleo" - interpretation up to...me! And determined by research on the CrossFit message boards. I will occassionally pose a question to anyone reading this thread what they think about the Paleo-ness of a certain item (probably after I've already consumed it, lol). I will probably also employ a version of Melissa Byers' "Healthy/F-off" scale (http://byersCrossFit.blogspot.com/ ... Not necessarily WFS). Like when it comes to Starbucks - is it really that bad, in the grand scheme of things, to have a double decaf soy cinnamon dolce latte with the sugar-free syrup and no whip cream? I know soy sucks. I know sugar alternatives suck. But I like sucking one down when I have to sit at the allergist for 30 minutes waiting to have needles stuck in my arm, then waiting to make sure I don't go into anaphylaxis.

2. "Loose Paleo" as we all have seen before = "eat meat/veggies, nuts/seeds, some fruit, little starch, no sugar". My purpose with this is not necessarily weight loss, but to determine foods that seem to trigger allergies/adverse physical effects that are ruining my WODs and sleep patterns and as such I intend to eliminate them for the full 30 days - no cheats - and then introduce them one-by-one and monitor their effects. So! NO, NONE, ZIP, ZERO grains, dairy, corn, potatoes, beans, or peanuts. ( Those who followed my Zone Challenge know that by the end I was savoring 2 tablespoons of peanut butter every night before bed. Time to splurge on some almond butter!) Sugar not allowed either, but it is the one item I will allow "cheats" on. That and red wine.

3. Cheats. Allowed once a week on Saturdays (because I don't do WODs on Sundays) and limited to either a "real food" dessert (no artificial colors/flavors/etc) OR red wine. Not both. I'm not trying to lean out here, so I'm not worried about caloric intake, but food quality more than anything.

4. I will log my food intake on SparkPeople and post a link to it here each day, and also my post WODs here and on the main page, along with any commentary about hunger/mood/adverse or beneficial effects of certain foods, etc.

5. I will NOT focus my attention on the number of calories I am consuming but rather focus on how I feel - am I hungry, how are my workouts going, am I cranky/lethargic/listless? I will NOT weigh myself. At all. It's not about weight. It's about physical well-being and performance.

Day 1 log (today)....coming up!