View Single Post
Old 02-01-2008, 10:19 PM   #17
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Crossfit is the best program for Bodybuilding

Quote:
The bodybuilding model is designed around, requires, steroids for significant hypertrophy.
The neuroendocrine response of bodybuilding protocols is so blunted that without "exogenous hormonal therapy" little happens.
Model/protocol = what?

Split routines? Full body routines? ALL routines?

I would definitely say CF is superior to split routines and there's tons of anecdotal evidence for that. However, NOT a properly designed full body routine.

Linear progression in a full body routine is so extremely effective for new people that you put an insane amount of mass on with very little body fat in a short time. Mark Rippetoe obviously mentions this (a la Starting Strength) and there's a ton of anecdotal evidence to support this as well.

Would you arguing that CF by a newbie can put on 40-50 lbs of lean mass in like 6 months properly? I would not.

Quote:
The CrossFit protocol is designed to elicit a substantial neuroendocrine whollop and hence packs an anabolic punch that puts on impressive amounts of muscle though that is not our concern. Strength is.
Full body routines elicit a significant neuroendocrine reponse too..... AND strength gained is HIGHER in a linear full body routine than in CF.

Quote:
Natural bodybuilders (the natural ones that are not on steroids) never approach the mass that our ahtletes do. They don't come close.
Again, this doesn't assess what kind of training the bodybuilders used. Just a random useless statement...

Quote:
Those athletes who train for function end up with better form than those who value form over function. This is one of the beautiful ironies of training.
This I agree with, but not in its context.

If you're a bodybuilder and train like an athlete WITH a full body routine FOR STRENGTH. If you eat, you WILL put on more mass than CF. Mass has the tendency (correlation) to lead to size gain given correct eating. We have already established that such a full body routine would garner more strength than CF in a given period of time. Both elicit neuroendocrine responses. Therefore, you would be correct in assuming that a full body routine designed correctly would give greater size/mass gains than CF in that same period of time.

And I need to sleep now because of work. I'm sure you can now tell why it's wrong in THIS specific context. Yes, most BBers use splits, so it will be superior. But not all BBers use splits. Therefore, it's not true in ALL cases.

Last edited by Steven Low : 02-01-2008 at 10:22 PM.