View Single Post
Old 02-01-2008, 10:03 PM   #16
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Re: Crossfit is the best program for Bodybuilding

I'm feeling a little froggy today. Long day at work and a lot of snow....

Here's my point:

Lynne has posted this in the FAQs:

"If you train the WODs hard, and eat right and get lots of sleep, you will definitely gain lean mass, lose fat, and yes, you can build muscle mass with the crossfit protocol. More specifically, according to Coach,
Here is a hierarchy of training for mass from greater to lesser efficacy:
1. Bodybuilding on steroids
2. CrossFitting on steroids
3. CrossFitting without steroids
4. Bodybuilding without steroids
The bodybuilding model is designed around, requires, steroids for significant hypertrophy.
The neuroendocrine response of bodybuilding protocols is so blunted that without "exogenous hormonal therapy" little happens.
The CrossFit protocol is designed to elicit a substantial neuroendocrine whollop and hence packs an anabolic punch that puts on impressive amounts of muscle though that is not our concern. Strength is.
Natural bodybuilders (the natural ones that are not on steroids) never approach the mass that our ahtletes do. They don't come close.
Those athletes who train for function end up with better form than those who value form over function. This is one of the beautiful ironies of training."

Many people have argued that this statement is flat out wrong. In a post today, someone was calling for a retraction, because it is generally agreed that the statement that "Crossfitting without steroids" is more effective for mass gain than "Bodybuilding without steroids".

I've been lifting since 1975. I've pretty much have done every program you could think of. CF tops them all for mass gain (with proper diet). I think CFs recent (last year or so) focus on the CF total and assistance exercises has made it even more effective for mass gain.

So for those of you who think Coach's statement is wrong, let's have a definitive discussion about it. Tell me why he is wrong.