View Single Post
Old 09-27-2013, 12:51 PM   #56
Darryl Shaw

Profile:
Re: What can low-carb (ketosis) do for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Neal View Post
Thanks, I'll look into these right now

Update:
Darryl, are you sure you linked the correct studies to me? I thought you were against keto diets, but both studies are pro-keto. Or maybe that's the way I'm interpreting them? I'd like to post some results here for discussion:
I posted those studies because it would be unfair not to. I wouldn't get too excited if I were you though because they don't provide much in the way of support for ketogenic diets.

Quote:
Study1- "Impaired physical performance is a common but not obligate result of a low carbohydrate diet.
Lessons from traditional Inuit culture indicate that time for adaptation, optimized sodium and
potassium nutriture, and constraint of protein to 1525 % of daily energy expenditure allow
unimpaired endurance performance despite nutritional ketosis."
Scroll down to the bottom of the page and read the very last sentence. People always miss that bit.

Quote:
Study2- "Despite concerns of coaches and doctors about the possible detrimental effects of low carbohydrate diets on athletic performance and the well known importance of carbohydrates there are no data about VLCKD [very low carb keto diet] and strength performance. The undeniable and sudden effect of VLCKD on fat loss may be useful for those athletes who compete in sports based on weight class. We have demonstrated that using VLCKD for a relatively short time period (i.e. 30 days) can decrease body weight and body fat without negative effects on strength performance in high level athletes."
This is a small scale study (n=9) of limited duration (30 days) which failed to control for differences in energy intake (1971.55 kcal VLCKD vs 2273.98 kcal WD). So were the results due to the diet, differences in energy intake, or chance? And how might this ketogenic diet affect health or performance over the long term? Who knows?

Quote:
The take away for me is that I can go keto to get a 6-pack without losing strength or endurance IF (and that's a big if) I do it correctly. So I guess it's just more reading and research on how to do it correctly. Thanks, Darryl!
The take away from this is that performance will be almost certainly suffer while on a ketogenic diet, and any reduction in BF% will be the result of a negative energy balance not a direct consequence of being in ketosis.

Composition of weight lost during short-term weight reduction. Metabolic responses of obese subjects to starvation and low-calorie ketogenic and nonketogenic diets.
M U Yang and T B Van Itallie. J Clin Invest. 1976;58(3):722730.
(wfs)