View Single Post
Old 09-27-2013, 10:13 AM   #52
Todd Neal

Profile:
Re: What can low-carb (ketosis) do for you?

Thanks, I'll look into these right now

Update:
Darryl, are you sure you linked the correct studies to me? I thought you were against keto diets, but both studies are pro-keto. Or maybe that's the way I'm interpreting them? I'd like to post some results here for discussion:

Study1- "Impaired physical performance is a common but not obligate result of a low carbohydrate diet.
Lessons from traditional Inuit culture indicate that time for adaptation, optimized sodium and
potassium nutriture, and constraint of protein to 15–25 % of daily energy expenditure allow
unimpaired endurance performance despite nutritional ketosis."

Study2- "Despite concerns of coaches and doctors about the possible detrimental effects of low carbohydrate diets on athletic performance and the well known importance of carbohydrates there are no data about VLCKD [very low carb keto diet] and strength performance. The undeniable and sudden effect of VLCKD on fat loss may be useful for those athletes who compete in sports based on weight class. We have demonstrated that using VLCKD for a relatively short time period (i.e. 30 days) can decrease body weight and body fat without negative effects on strength performance in high level athletes."

The take away for me is that I can go keto to get a 6-pack without losing strength or endurance IF (and that's a big if) I do it correctly. So I guess it's just more reading and research on how to do it correctly. Thanks, Darryl!

Last edited by Todd Neal : 09-27-2013 at 10:36 AM.