View Single Post
Old 05-05-2007, 02:04 PM   #61
Gary Turner

Profile:
Cheers guys!

Scott, here are the answers, lol!

1. Duck!
Lol!
If you look at the footage again, you'll see that I chose the wrong way to move. I should have moved to the right, away from his right, out of the 'power zone'. Excitement got the better of me! Tank has what we term a 'trigger move'. When he is hit, he instinctively throws the right. I hit him with a heavy overhand, and started to move. I wanted to angle and started the move by circling my rear foot around. At that point he struck incredibly fast and accurate and weighted, and I had no prop to resist from as my right foot was in the air - the end result was that I took no force from the punch, the energy was used by spinning me over onto the floor. I felt fine immediately following the punch, hence my perceived 'incredible recovery', and couldn't believe how bad it looked on tape - until I watched on slo-mo and saw the mechanics...

I know Tank is a fast started, so I wanted to fight him the same - my ego took over, rather than circling and running until he got tired. So to avoid similar mistakes my ego must take a back seat and strategy must be stuck too...next time, just secure the win, even if it isn't as macho as taking the fight to Tank!

2. I let Tank take my legs. When he grabbed you see no resistance, I ride it comfortably to the floor landing with hooks in position and therefore in control. Tank is infinitely stronger than me, and if I resisted, I may have ended in a position I didn't want. So I took the easy option, lol! Tank's not a grappler, I have lots of experience in grappling since 1976, so I knew I would be comfortable on the ground even with Tank on top.

On the ground, Tank's lungs were compressed, therefore not allowing him to take full breath, therefore further gassing. I had strong hooks, so all he had was to rub my head with his to start with.

However, if I wanted to try to resist the take down, have a look at my posture on the ropes. It was specifically designed to work against a much heavier opponent, giving postural strength rather than muscular strength, and giving room for legs to move. I was lipreading my corner's instructions (too much noise to hear, and my corner are disciplined to follow the rules and not run around the cage!) checking that they wanted me to keep Tank gassing and thats why I was looking to the side, but as any judoka will tell you, if you are in contact with your partner you know how they are moving. You don't need your eyes.

They may have said 'break', in which case I'd have used that space to slip out the side. If I didn't have the space I'd just be stuck on the cage...

Its a different posture to one I would use against an experienced wrestler.

Against Tank to resist I would attack, possibly with a guillotine, to distract, and hopefully give him a pause allowing me to drop posture and sprawl the leg grab. However I do think he would still be able to take me down from that posture, and I may not have landed with as much control as I actually did have.

I think the biggest lesson is one I already know. In answer 1 I failed the test, in answer 2 I passed - don't fight your opponent's fight - fight the strategy that will win!

Ah, good ol' ego...

Hope this is of interest!

Smiler