View Single Post
Old 02-09-2005, 11:45 AM   #1
Mike Ryan

Profile:
Hi Everyone,

I have been following the discussions on this site for about two months and working into the WOD’s over the past month and I really enjoy both. I am somewhat of an information addict when it comes to exercise and nutrition and I have read countless views and tried more “programs” than I care to admit. I am hoping that Crossfit will succeed for me where others have failed. I like the concepts presented here about functionality and believe that this is really what I have been looking for all along.

My question has likely been asked many times, but I will ask for your advice anyway. First, some background info…I am 6’ and 280 lbs with 26% body fat (calculated using girth measurements, calipers, and body fat scale). Many of the theories I have subscribed to in the past suggest that based on my lean body mass of 207 lbs, I should consume about 2800 or more calories per day. This translates to 30 blocks of protein using the 40/30/30 zone guidelines. For reference, here is a web page that lists several ways to calculate caloric needs, with scaling for activity level.

http://www.fitren.com/res3art.cfm?compid=18&artid=46

Additionally, Dr. Sears web site suggests that I should consume 21-24 blocks of protein per day depending on activity level. This would be about 1960 - 2240 calories per day.

http://www.drsears.com/drsearspages/bodyfatcalmale.jsp

I notice that most individuals here eat at most 19 blocks of protein per day. For the past month, I have been eating three 4-block meals and two 2-block snacks (1456 cal / day) almost eliminating bread, pasta, rice and potato. I have found that I am generally tired and have little energy. I have also felt this way in the past when eating more calories, although it was balanced 50/30/20. I have also not noticed significant changes in body composition.

The question is; am I eating too little? If so, how should I balance my calories with the zone parameters and the demands of the WOD? Coach’s comment about “commitment spawns success” is right on the mark. I have committed to succeed; I just want to ensure that I have committed to the right methods on the diet side of the equation.

Thanks, Mike.