View Single Post
Old 03-06-2010, 07:52 PM   #1
Ramsey Abdulrahim

Profile:
Arrow Documentation of Preparation for OCS

I am a 24 year old male (6'1" 175 lbs) who is training for Marine Corps OCS (OCS Intermediate PFT [20 FEB 2010]: 278 [20 pullups, 100 crunches, 21:39 3-mile run]). I have been Crossfitting since APR 2009 and saw substantial improvement in my general physical preparedness. My goal is to increase my general fitness level as well as improve along military-specific domains. These domains include high PFT/CFT scores, the ability to run with added weight (boots, gear, various buddy carries), the stamina to endure continuous physical activity in a fatigued state, and other areas with combat relevance.

Measurable goals/standards I hope to attain include:
Strength:
Deadlift 2.0x BW
Squat 1.5x BW
Bench Press 1.25x BW
Push Press 1x BW
Pullup/chinup with .75x BW

Speed:
100m run: 12.0 seconds
400m run: 1:20
880m run w/ boots: 3:00

Stamina/Endurance:
3-mile run: sub-21:00
5-mile run: sub-36:00
30 consecutive deadhang pullups/chinups
100 consecutive pushups

On 03 MAR 2010 I was declared NPQ from OCC-203 with a stress fracture in my left tibia (also had a stress reaction in my right tibia). I was told I would be able to return for a 6-week PLC Seniors class in the second summer increment.

My injury has limited my exercise selection. Unable to run for approximately 8 weeks, I will have to use the rower, exercise bike, and possibly swim as alternatives. In addition, to repair my body from the physical rigors of OCS, I will ease into training with an emphasis on recovery and durability.

Once I have completed my rehabilitation, my workouts will be Crossfit in spirit, closely resembling Sealfit workouts, but I will also borrow from CF Football, CF Endurance, CF Strength Biased, and Bill Starr's 5x5. I will also use many workouts done at OCS, especially as a benchmark to predict my future performance when I return.

Notes:
My diet is low carbohydrate and high in proteins and fats. It includes a lot of meat, nuts, dairy, vegetables, and fruits. I drink close to a gallon of milk a day.
Strength is defined as the ability of a muscular unit, or a combination of muscular units, to apply force. In my log, strength exercises involve lifting near-maximal or progressive loads.
Endurance is defined as the ability of body systems to gather, process, and deliver oxygen. In my log, endurance activities include running, rowing, bicycling, swimming, and other related movements which have a strong cardiovascular/respiratory component.
Stamina is defined as the ability of a muscular unit, or a combination of muscular units, to process, deliver, store, and utilize energy. Stamina workouts involve higher repetitions pushing to localized muscle fatigue and failure.
Speed is the ability to minimize the time cycle of a repeated movement. Sprints would be a speed workout.
Durability is defined as the ability to avoid injury. In my log, durability will also include core-specific work.
Work Capacity is defined as the ability of the body to produce work of different intensity and duration using the appropriate energy systems of the body. It is a synergy of the other competencies with considerable overlap with the others. A workout involving the use of different movements with different parts of the body, avoiding localized muscle fatigue but maintaining a consistent quick pace would be a work capacity workout.