View Single Post
Old 02-04-2009, 09:45 AM   #26
Giles Clarke

Profile:
Re: Military leaning away from CrossFit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Mounce View Post
As far as the military goes, the
Marine Corps is going away from it and so is the Navy.
This is not even remotely true. Quite the contrary, the Marine Corps is actually moving closer to CrossFit every day.
I just spent the past 3 years as a Series and Company Commander in the Recruit Training Regiment at Marine Corps Recruit Depot, Parris Island. During that time, we restructured the recruits’ physical training regimen to bring it much closer in line with CrossFit doctrine.
Long, slow distance runs were replaced by shorter, high intensity workouts. Thrusters, air squats, KB swings and burpees were all added into the mix.
This resulted in far fewer lower extremity injuries (shin splints, sprains, etc) over the course of a training cycle and increased performance across our measured spectrum.
I’m speaking anecdotally, but there is quantifiable evidence to back it up. Every training cycle is monitored closely by civilian athletic trainers who capture all data beginning with the recruits’ Initial Strength Test all the way through their final Physical Fitness Test (PFT). The numbers do not lie; CrossFit works.
I challenge anyone to take a walk through Camp Lejeune, Camp Pendleton, 29 Palms or any other Marine Corps installation between the hours of 1100-1300 or after 1700. You will, undoubtedly, find scores of Marines swinging kettle bells, thrusting barbells, or sprinting along the road. During working hours, abandoned gymnastics rings dangling from pull-up bars are the tell-tale signs that CrossFit is in practice.
Just this past year, the Marine Corps instituted the Combat Fitness Test (CFT) to supplement our current PFT. Where the PFT measures standard fitness via pull-ups, sit-ups and a 3 mile run, the CFT measures functional fitness via a series of timed combat- related events. Each of these events is rooted firmly in the same functional physical training that CrossFit teaches.
If not for the Marine Corps, I never would have known about CrossFit. If not for CrossFit, I would not currently be in the best shape of my life.