View Single Post
Old 05-11-2011, 10:53 AM   #8
Andrew Carnovale

Profile:
Re: Squat and Bench Press Critique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik View Post

Finally--did you not use a spotter on the bench or squat in the cage for the video? I'd highly suggest you get a spotter on the bench especially since you are to rep out on the last set of 5/3/1, I wouldn't want a bar on your face. Also, I'd rather have the cage catch a failde squat than your lower back and when you work your way up, sometimes we experience failure.

Keep up the good work. Out of curiosity what motivated you to do 5/3/1 vs. other linear progression programs?
Robert- I decided to go outside of the cage as these weights are relatively light for me and even though I am going for "max reps" on the last set my plan is to leave a couple in the tank and not go for broke. I decided to use 5/3/1 for a couple of reasons. Firstly, I have done the SS novice program and experienced tremendous gains on it. I felt that trying a more intermediate program would be beneficial. Secondly, I liked the idea of training sub maximally and wanted to give it a try. Lastly, I thought it would be easier to incorporate the 2-day 5/3/1 program in to my Crossfit schedule. My plan is to do 2 5/3/1 days and 2 or 3 Crossfit days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew G. Greenberg View Post
On bench, you need to look up how to properly unrack the bar. Keep your head still.

You look like a strong dude. Why are you posting these crazy light weights for critique? Surely you can do more...

I just watched the heaviest squat set. Looks great.
Thank you for the feedback. Any resources you know of to help my with unracking the bar? 5/3/1 is built on submaximal training so I started lighter to ease in to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik View Post
I believe some of the Elite or Westside guys promote bringing the head in like he did for stabilization purposes. I don't do it when I bench, but I've seen some of the top powerlifters do it.

Andrew-is that where you got that technique/style from?
Yes, I watched a lot of Westside stuff and that is where I got it from. Not sure if the form varies between raw and equipped though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
Agree with most of what has been said.

Squats look great, although I would certainly try shifting your eye gaze down to see if that changes things.

For bench, I would definitely grab one of those guys hanging out in the background and have them be a spotter. I'm curious on the technique also.
I'll try keeping my gaze more moderate. I was looking up mostly to help keep my chest up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Carlson View Post
Andrew - I'll echo the question that was asked by another: why choose 5/3/1? You seem strong but still in the stage where you could make huge gains every session rather than trying to gain over the course of a month. 5/3/1 is a program for those who have passed beyond novice gains and need a more intermediate program.

On the bench - are you sure that the last set was 155#? I could be wrong (the larger plate could be a 35#), but it looked like 185#.
I have done the novice SS program and made great gains on it already. 5/3/1 intrigued me a lot so I wanted to give it a try. It's by no means a novice program but I still think I can see some great gains. It was only 155#. I had a 45# plate and a 10# plate per side. The weight are oddly shaped at the gym I go to.

Thanks for all the great feedback! Please keep it coming!