View Single Post
Old 08-21-2005, 05:33 PM   #1
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Just got back from a one-day fishing trip out of San Diego Harbor. I got my limit of yellowfin (ahi) tuna in about 45 minutes! Brought home 50 pounds of filets.

26 people on board, fishing about 100 miles south of San Diego, 4 or 5 of us caught limits. Crossfit and 40 pound test line helped me be the first to get a limit, everyone else was fishing lighter line and complained about how tired they got pulling on the fish. Lot of cramped up arms and sore backs going around. Tore up the skin on my fingers pretty good from the line ripping off the reel. If you've never been on a tuna fishing trip, it's like doing 15 lb. swings and curls for as long as the fish stays on the hook, which was 20 minutes or more for some folks. On this trip, the bite was about 2 hours of non-stop action. The fish were eating anything that hit the water. Biggest fish was around 20 lbs. I'd say.

Tonight we're having Grilled Ahi Tuna Steaks with Bleu Cheese. Tomorrow we're having Tuna Steaks Marinated in Italian Dressing. The next night we're having Spanish-Style Tuna Steaks (Atun Planche). The next night we're having Tuna au Poivre.... and the next night...