Thread: Hips?
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2012, 01:09 PM   #1
Nicholas Wheeler

Profile:
Hips?

Okay, so, one of two things will happen with this post.

one - I will get big and famous some day, and then someone will mock my ignorance by linking to this post I'm about to make.

two - I will remain average, and look back upon it and have hopefully learned something and improved my fitness through it.

I have a complete lack of muscle awareness. I've been crossfitting for almost a year and a half, and just recently think I figured out the proper way to deadlift (my thoughts on this are because I'm starting to feel it on the backside of my legs). I always hear people talking about using your hips for movements like the clean and snatch, but I honestly don't even know what that means. I try to do a slow deadlift type movement until I'm above my knees, then I try to stand up really fast and move my arms to wherever they need to be for the movement. (possibly THIS VIDEO OR ANY OF THESE - ALL WFS - would shed light on this. - note, all the words linked are to separate videos)

The only movement I really feel like I'm using my hips is the kettlebell swing (which is linked in one of those videos above).

I'm open to any criticism and I am always striving to improve, but I'm starting to think there is some glaring omission that's holding me back that I can't seem to pinpoint.