View Single Post
Old 01-12-2007, 06:32 AM   #1
Christopher Day

Profile:
Hello fellow crossfitters:

By way of introduction, my name is Chris and I'm from NB on the east coast of Canada. I'm a 23 year old male, 6'1" 175 pounds with average athleticism and about 16 months of modest training experience. My typical workouts in the past have not been particularly intense - mostly the standard fare of gym routines, two body parts a day, 3-4 day rotations, combinations of compound movements and isolation exercises. Like many new crossfitters, after discovering this concept I realized quickly how bored I have become with lame gym patterns and minimal results.

After reviewing a lot of information on this site I have decided that I am going to make a committment to crossfitting for at least three months to challenge myself. I know that I am not ready for the WOD's yet. But also, I feel that I am slightly more advanced than the stage for which the beginner's workout in issue 9 is prescribed. So, I have decided that I will start a new thread on here for anyone out there like me, to follow my workouts for a month and see where things end up.

Every day I will post my activities and results to this thread and of course, I will gladly accept any and all feedback/suggestions on my workout exercises. A vast majority of the exercises on this site are new to me, so my focus will be first: to get used to the constant pace of crossfitting by minimizing rest periods throughout my workout and second: to gradually integrate some of these more advanced movements into my training, until eventually I can follow the WOD's with substitutions.

Everyday I will perform the official crossfit warm-up and an additional exercise similar to the style of workouts on this site. To give you all an idea of where I am at before starting. I can do 4 clean straight hanging wide grip pull-ups, with diminishing returns after the first set. I have only ever done back squats, but I can comfortably do 185-190 pounds for 3x10 with about 3-4 minute rest periods between sets. My max bench is 205 for one rep, and I can push my body weight 3 times clean and maybe 4 with slight assistance, although this has never been a focus. I can run for distance no problem, but don't have much experience with sprinting. I consider strength and power to be weak points of my development.

Anyway, I look forward to challenging myself and receiving any feedback on my exercise choices. Wish me luck!