Thread: Buying Local
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2012, 08:12 PM   #9
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Buying Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Liberati View Post
Okay I admit I deserved to get jumped on for my statement above about buying something just based on price which I never do in practice. I try to buy locally when possible and have no problem paying extra for a better quality product. I was more pointing out the fact that buying local can come with a greater price tag that I'm not always willing to pay extra for.
For non-zealots who live in temperate climates, it's really a tradeoff. Unless I'm willing to limit myself to potatoes and onions for 5 months out of the year, I'm going to be eating some non-local produce. (Although home preserving can stretch the seasons for those with gardens.) Unless I'm willing to drop avocado, mango, pineapple, and all forms of citrus, I'm going to be eating some non-local produce.

On the other hand, I don't need Chilean apples in July when I can have Washington cherries instead. Having a preference for local foods means looking at local substitutes, and planning the menu around local options as much as possible.

Katherine