View Single Post
Old 04-18-2008, 10:36 AM   #3
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:
Re: My girlfriend has Rhabdo

It does sound like rhabdo: basically all that means is dumping of muscle proteins into the circulation secondary to rupture of the muscle cell wall. In exertional rhabdomyolysis, it's due to the damage done by the mechanical forces on the muscle tissue.

It's not uncommon around Crossfit parts to hear people complain of severe DOMS following GHD situps. (Rhabdo exists on a continuum of damage to muscle fibers, it's not an "all or nothing" thing) There must be something about the arrangement of fibers of the abdominal muscles, or the way the shearing forces are applied in the GHD situp to account for all this. (Since I've been hanging out here, arms from pullups and abs from GHD seem to be the more common rhabdo-related sites/exercises. If the word "common" can be applied to so uncommon a phenomenon.)

We've had a number of people have excessive pain after GHD situps, so we've gotten a bit more cautious introducing people to the exercise, and we've insisted that newer folks scale the reps on the thing.

I wish I could tell you how long and how much is safe to do, but I don't know. All I can say is she should come back slowly and cautiously. You can get it again.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Susie