View Single Post
Old 02-04-2010, 02:06 PM   #32
Sean Dunston

Profile:
Re: UFC 112 in Abu Dhabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R O'Dell View Post
That's right. I'm envious of Lebron James. It has nothing to do with the fact that I can't stand his attitude, his poor sportsmanship and the fact that every time I try to watch something NBA related I'm assaulted with "Lebron James! Greatest player ever! You must love him!" Yeah like that stuff doesn't get old and create fatigue for someone on one person.
Indulge me for a moment on this one, Jason, because I do not think this is your fault.
This Lebron madness is just part of the overall NBA marketing machine.
It always has to have a "greatest player ever" (or a couple of them vying for that title) and the player MUST be a current player, or else the star (the NBA) loses its shine -- and by losing its shine, I mean loses Money. If people can't sit and watch a game (at home or in the arena) and point to a guy and say, "he's the greatest player ever" then people won't watch. If the game is never going to get better than it was yesterday, with better players and better performances, then it is a failure. No viewing public means no $$$.

I apologize if that sounds totally cynical - but I guess I'm jaded.

In the 60s the player was without question Bill Russell, and to a lesser extent, Wilt Chamberlain.
In the 70s it was Kareem, and towards the end of the decade, Dr. J.
In the 80s there were Magic and Larry Bird.
In the 90s, Michael Jordan.
In the 00s, Shaq and Kobe, and the dawn of Lebron.
In the 10s, it will be Lebron with some up-and-comers TBD later.

Last edited by Sean Dunston : 02-04-2010 at 02:14 PM.