View Single Post
Old 08-13-2014, 12:52 PM   #6
Steve M Herman

Profile:
Re: Working with injuries, what can I do?

Scott:

I won't even pretend to be qualified to tell you want to do. I'm probably not even able to really explain the difference between tendinosis and tendonitis. You can also write off what I am about to say as ridiculous. In fact I can't say for certain if it even helped me.

Stealing quotes from Wikipedia the online source for many people pretending to be an arm chair doctor with strangers on the web...

"Classical characteristics of "tendinosis" include degenerative changes in the collagenous matrix, hypercellularity, hypervascularity, and a lack of inflammatory cells.

Further described as...

"Tendons are very slow to heal if injured. Partial tears heal by the rapid production of disorganized type-III collagen, which is weaker than normal tendon. Recurrence of injury in the damaged region of tendon is common."

Taking things a step further type-III collagen is...

Collagen alpha-1(III) chain is a fibrillar collagen that is found in extensible connective tissues such as skin, lung, and the vascular system, frequently in association with type I collagen.

Type-III collagen is a fibrous scleroprotein in bone, cartilage, dentin, tendon, bone marrow stroma and other connective tissue; yields gelatin on boiling.

So my over the top logical way of thinking wonders...

Have you tried increasing your collagen intake? (I know crazy)

I have started to drink homemade bone broth a few times per week. I purchase some grass fed beef bones and boil them in a crock pot for 24 hours with some spices (you can find a recipe online). During the boil I was scooping out the bone marrow to try and break the bones down as much as possible. The result (after straining, cooling, and removing the hardened layer of fat) is something that can best be described as meat jello. I know it sounds gross. It looks kind of gross too. My family won't touch it even after I have heated it back up into a liquid broth.

I then filled up some mason jars and freeze it. I take out a jar to heat back up and drink. It really tastes just like beef broth. I haven't added meat or vegetables to make it into a soup, but you certainly could. I just drink it as a broth, because making a soup would take more time.

The biggest issue for me is that you just can't unsee the meat jello and it is in the back of your head.

Anyway you can chalk it up to overzealous CrossFit Paleo cult nutrition voodoo, but it certainly isn't harmful. I don't know if it will heal your tendinosis. Yet if the references I stole from Wikipedia are correct it makes sense to me to increase your collagen intake if that is what your injury involves.

As we get old our bodies produce less collagen so maybe try it? Worst case scenario is maybe your skin, hair, and finger nails grow super strong and shiny and the females in your life want to know your secret. Meat jello!

Last edited by Steve M Herman : 08-13-2014 at 02:02 PM.