View Single Post
Old 09-29-2010, 07:08 PM   #1
James Sowers

Profile:
Bouncing back from an Injury: Starting Fresh with Starting Strength

Okay, so to make a long story short I suffered a partially torn hamstring about four months ago and as a result I lost about 10 pounds and apparently a whole lot of strength. Similarly, I started really getting into Crossfit right after the injury, so I've been dying to get back on the horse.

When I went in for my first workout, I was shocked to see how much strength I had lost. I figure that rather than jump right into Crossfit and damage my pride by having to scale the workouts, I would begin with Starting Strength. I believe this program will allow me to gain back the strength I lost relatively quickly without asking too much of my recovering tendon.

These are the last totals I have record of and thus will be my new goals:

Bench: 290
Squat: 340
Deadlift: 315
Power Clean: 200

9/23

Squat: 1 x 5 @ 225 and stopped
Press: 3 x 5 @ 135
Deadlift: 3 x 5 @ 155

Okay...so after this workout I was kinda shellshocked. After fairly extensive stretching (essentially the army PT warmup), I did my first set of squats and clearly went too hard too soon. I instantly felt tender in my hamstring and decided not to push it. Thus, I'm not sure if these weights are realistic or if the deadlift is artificially low because I was favoring my leg.

9/24

45 mins of stationary bike at moderate resistance
Ab workout for ~20-30 mins

- You'll notice that, for the most part, I spend my weekends at the beach or at college football games -

9/27

Squat: 3 x 5 @ 225
Bench: 3 x 5 @ 190
Pull-ups: 3 x 8 @ bodyweight + 10 lbs
Back extensions: 5 x 10 @ bodyweight

9/28

2 mile run: ~ 15:10 which is only :40 slow for me so I was happy
Push-ups: 4 x 50

9/29

Squat: 3 x 5 @ 225
Press: 3 x 5 @ 135 could've done 140-145 the last set, but I'm not sure if you're supposed to do that.
Deadlift: 3 x 5 @ 205

Glad to see these weights went up already. Like I said, I don't think it will take long (relatively speaking) to get close to where I was, especially with movements focusing on upper body.