View Single Post
Old 01-24-2008, 04:52 PM   #42
Dan Hollingsworth

Profile:
Re: Avoiding shoulder injuries, and fixing them - What's the best course of action?

There are plenty of anecdotal reports of ultrasound, e-stim and the plethora of other modalities that are utilized by physical therapists, occupational therapists and now chiropractors are helpful. However, when these modalities are truly put to the test in double-blind, randomized, controlled clinical studies, they just don't cut it. Plain and simple. Several studies have been done and essentially all of the well done studies have come up with the same conclusion, these are not efficacious modalities. They have also been meta-analyses (the gold standard of clinical research) that have come up with the same conclusions.

Now, am I saying that after your ultrasound or e-stim treatment that you did not feel better? No, like I said plenty of people report that it "helps" them. The placebo effect is a real effect. As a physical therapist if a patient comes to me and says "I had this problem a few years ago and the only thing that helped was ultrasound." Well, guess what, they're likely going to get ultrasound, in addition to a lot of education and therapeutic exercises to hopefully provide them long-term benefit.

If you would like references to the studies I can get them for you.