View Single Post
Old 07-28-2011, 07:47 AM   #233
Alex Europa

Profile:
Re: Gillian Mounsey Article

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Z. Smith View Post
Some of it may be beneficial of course, but applying science helps determine more of what is beneficial.

If they have $ and time and resources, I'd be interested in seeing some studies of methods that help create the fittest on the Earth.
I think the problem that many of us have with the exercise physiology world is that they are always behind the power curve and far too people demand peer-reviewed backing of stuff before they believe that it can possibly be true. Elite coaches have known this to be true for decades: they come up with methods that work and THEN the studies are done to back things up.

I openly admit that CrossFit holds other organizations to a standard that it, to date, has not met. So please let's not go down that rabbit hole. I am merely pointing out that anyone who waits for the science will ALWAYS be behind the power curve. This is where empirical evidence and n=1 scenarios are most critical to a coach. Figure out what works for your athletes, and discard the rest...the the scientists tell you why it works later.

It's super early and I've gotta get ready for work, so I apologize if my thought process isn't quite up to par on this post.

- Alex