View Single Post
Old 03-08-2011, 11:37 AM   #4
Justin McGinley

Profile:
Re: different programming templates

I can only speak for my gym.

I don't have any true fire breathers at my gym. I have a gym full of "regular" people(MMA hobbyists, new moms, older guys with bad backs, policemen, active military(all branches), and 9-5ers). So I program in a way that will (in my opinion) maximize their progress.

Our normal class
starts with a group warm-up(mobility work, agility and running drills, fun stuff)
10-15 minutes of skill work (dead hang pull-ups, Oly progressions, squat variants, gymnastic work, KB skill work, double unders, etc)
15-20 minutes of strength work(Oly lifts, squats, deadlifts, presses, weighted pull-ups)
finish with a 4-25 minute metcon(most under 15 minutes).

95% of the time, all of our members set PRs when they touch a barbell, and everyone (yes every single time) PRs when we repeat benchmark WODs, so it is working.

You can click on the link in my signature to see our programming. It is simple and people are having a lot of fun with it. Would these people also get fitter with different programming? Heck yeah, any decently smart blend of strength work and conditioning will improve someones fitness. But what we are doing is working, no one is getting hurt, and everyone is making some serious gains, so we'll keep doing this until the progress stops happening.