View Single Post
Old 09-02-2014, 07:41 AM   #16
Dakota Base

Profile:
Re: crossfit equipment advice

I'm not saying that certain equipment isn't useful, but I did specifically say that certain equipment is only useful for an extremely limited set of movements. I've owned a yoke for 20yrs, I've yet to find any evidence that I consider it to be a remotely versatile piece of equipment. Atlas stones as well (made a set about 15yrs ago). I OWN a lot of these pieces of equipment, so I know how much they get touched through a practical programming plan - it ain't much compared to other items.

My point is this: if you have a limited grocery list and you find yourself with chicken breast in one hand and caviar in the other hand, it makes a lot more sense to have a freezer full of chicken before you buy any caviar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Morris View Post
...Some equipment may have limited versatility, but it's worth it if that's the best way to do a given exercise...

...but I don't want my home gym to become an equipment garden like the big box gyms. I must draw the line somewhere....
That's my point.

Home gyms, like all gyms everywhere, all have 2 things in common, 1) limited space, 2) limited budget.

The problem we have is that quite often the most expensive items are the least versatile. It'd be a crime if a home box had a C2 rower but didn't have a proper set of bumpers. Opportunity cost vs. versatility investment. Sunk cost into a set of battle ropes or a GHD or yoke or whatever might be worth it if you have other higher priority items, but they don't make sense if you're displacing something more versatile in terms of foundational movements.

And a guy has to weigh the opportunity cost and payback period of a home gym against a Box or other gym membership. I'm not saying a guy needs to scale IRR or estimate NPV, but if a guy can have access to the same or more equipment, PLUS TRAINING/COACHING, for $100 a month, or could do essentially the same workout at a YMCA or other traditional gym for $30, your home equipment investment has to make sense. If you add up the investments a guy might make into his "home box" compared to what a membership at a gym that HAS all of that equipment already might cost, it really has to make financial and logistical sense. It doesn't serve anybody to spend $10,000 on home equipment when they could get ~10yrs at a Box and receive better value, or ~30yrs at a traditional gym for that same investment.