Thread: Nutrient Timing
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2002, 05:45 PM   #10
David Wood

Profile:

Guys:

A question, and a horrifying story:

(1) The question: How do you put mice on a "paleo" diet? I (perhaps naively) assume that they've always been vegetarian? Do you just exclude grains from their diet (leaving them with seeds, roughage, etc.)? (I'm not trying to be a smartass here, honest.)

(2) The story: I just finished reading the book "Deadly Feasts" by Richard Rhodes, on the prion theroy of BSE (bovine spongiform encephalopathy, aka "mad cow disease") and its human variant, Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease.

I didn't really want to read it . . . I figured going in that I probably wouldn't want to eat meat again by the time I finished.

I was right . . . but the story reported in that book (and I realize that the story is still quite incomplete, and that particular author may have got parts of it wrong) is worse than I anticipated going in. Not only beef is implicated; pretty much any mammalian meat source, and conceivably poultry and dairy, also has the risk of being a route of infection.

Actually, we know so little about prions (the hypothesized cause of these diseases) that some researchers suggest that (this is where it goes over the top) even vegetarians are at risk if their organic gardens were fertilized with chicken droppings (a common source of nitrogenous fertilizers).

So, as I said, I figured going in that I wouldn't want to be eating beef by the time I came out. (That's OK; I don't eat much anyway.) I didn't expect to hear the bad news potential in ALL meat.

The only good news in this story is that it's not meat per se that is implicated . . . it's factory-farmed meat, particularly meat that has had any component of its feed derived from other slaughtered animals.

The moral: if you're gonna eat meat (i.e., paleo), maybe it's *really* time to locate a source of genuine "range-fed" or "grass-fed" beef.

Dan, I think you indicated in some previous post that you knew of such sources. If so, can those sources be shared?

David