View Single Post
Old 08-14-2008, 09:34 AM   #20
Zeeshan Parvez

Profile:
Re: Isometrics - 15-20% carry over off strength so if you do isometrics at...

Quote:
Ask and ye shall receive. Look under January 2006...

http://www.westside-barbell.com/articles.htm
Quote:
I don't have access to it at the moment, but one of the Bruce Lee books (out of the series of fitness and martial arts books that are out there) has a section about isometrics. Apparently, Mr. Lee did his research and was a fan of their use for specific purposes (strengthening the weak points of punches). I'm almost positive he provided references, although I thought the angular range was more like 6 degrees total.
Quote:
There was an extraordinary notorious prisoner in the UK named Charles Bronson (not the American actor of the same name). He was widely touted as "the most dangerous prisoner in Britain", partly for his craziness, and partly for his astounding strength . . . which was mostly acquired by isometrics (and having pretty much nothing else to do but train, since he was held in solitary a lot).

He eventually wrote a book, detailed here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Solitary-Fit...8723327&sr=8-3 (safe link). Some have debated the ethics of spending money that will ultimately aid a criminal; you can decide that for yourself. I found it "interesting" but not actually all that practical if you don't have at least 4 or 5 hours / day to train.
Thank you for your help. I have supported isometrics and practiced it because I do not want to use weights anymore and the planche progressions made me feel that these isometrics can do a lot of good. Now with these references I feel assured that I was not losing my mind when I used isometrics in weight training and saw massive progress in weight lifting (when I used to lift weights that is!). Now since I do not lift weights, the only way i see of getting stronger is isometrics. Since you really cannot measure progress with isometrics when you do not use weights, these articles will help to remind me that it is working.