View Single Post
Old 07-11-2012, 09:01 AM   #47
Mike Tyson

Profile:
Re: New to the Forum? ***READ THIS FIRST***

Hello all. Brand new to CF, haven't even gone to a class yet. Thanks all for this sticky, which is perfect and answered a lot of my questions.

Background: I'm a marathon swimmer. I spend most of my work-out time swimming, 10-15 miles a week, depending upon what's coming up (could get up to 20-25 miles), so that takes up a lot of my time. I started researching CF after seeing some guys here doing it in the gym. It looked interesting, but I seriously just couldn't find the time to fit it in. (The time they conducted the class was when I was in the pool.)

I'm about to depart my current location and settle in VA. I found a CF affiliate on the base I'll be working on, and their hours combined with my (future) work schedule sync up perfectly, so I won't be a CF virgin for long.

My goal is to work on my core. Swimming is so core-based that I want to improve my abdominal muscles, especially the trans-abdominis and lower back. Sometimes, after swimming for three hours or more straight, my lower back (of all things) hurts. I know that if I improve my core strength, my form will improve, which in turn will improve my speed. The fact that CF practitioners all seem to have well-developed lats and deltoids doesn't hurt, either!

Stats: I'm 45, 5'8", 185. I'm not going to do CF to lose weight. I'm happy with my weight (despite what NIH (wfs) says). I'm a (mostly) pescovegetarian with good LDL and HDL. I'm very anxious and excited to get started.

Oh, and before you ask, yes, that's my real name.