View Single Post
Old 12-15-2010, 07:57 AM   #4
James Sowers

Profile:
Re: Bouncing back from an Injury: Starting Fresh with Starting Strength

After a couple of rough workouts, I started to have a lot of pain in my leg. So, I opted to take a couple more weeks off to nurse myself back to health. Of course, it doesn't help that I'm in the process of buying a house in addition to working full time, so a lot of afternoons that would be spent at the gym are now spent with mortgage brokers and realtors.

Anyway, I picked it back up this week and I think I've decided to go with a two days on, one day off type of split. Unfortunately, since I'm a recent college grad in an entry-level job who's trying to buy a house (I know, boo-hoo) I can't afford to join the local box. Therefore, I will be doing my best to accomodate crossfit or crossfit-hybrid workouts at the local globo gym (Gold's no less!). Thankfully, I go in around 8:00pm, so it's relatively empty.

My programming will be taken primarily from main site or CFFB, whichever is easiest to complete, given limited crossfit-specific equipment. In the event that neither site offers a viable workout, I will be plugging in a body weight workout from the .pdf that can be found on the main page.

December 15th, 2010

3 rounds for time of:

16 box jumps using 24" box
16 "kettlebell swings" using a 25lb. dumbbell
16 strict push-ups

4:31:15

This was pretty tough. It's almost depressing how much cardiovascular endurance/stamina I have lost with the injury. I expected to go through the three rounds unbroken, but caved in the last round during the swings because my form was starting to lack.

Strength work:

Front squat- 3 sets of 5 reps
135 lbs, 145 lbs, 165lbs

Max Effort:

Weighted Pull-up
BW (165 lbs) + 65lbs = 230lbs

Not too upset with these. Front squatting is something I've only done once or twice, so it still seems very awkward to me. I'm pretty happy with the pull-up max (should I not be?) and even felt like I might have had 5-10 more lbs had I not done it last.