View Single Post
Old 06-04-2004, 03:50 PM   #5
Mike Minium

Profile:
Same disclaimer about deferring to Coach Sommer or others more knowledgeable...

Here's what worked for me. I'll say upfront that I take gymnastics class twice a week so equipment limitations aren't a factor, and the progression I describe below won't be possible without a trampoline and pit (or other soft landing area)

Here's what worked for me:

1. Perform back tucks into the pit.
2. Perform back tucks on the trampoline, allowing yourself to launch into the air before performing the tuck (this was the most difficult step in the progression for me--going from jumping into the pit to jumping on the tramp).
3. Perform back tucks on the tramp from dead standstill (i.e., no jumping before performing the tuck).
4. Perform back tucks on the floor.

I never used a spotter because, quite frankly, although I'm no monster at 170 lbs., I was afraid I'd cause much more damage to my 150-lb instructor than I'd ever cause to myself flying solo. But a spotter definitely would help in terms of managing fear, I suspect, which is really what back tucks are all about, as Roy pointed out.

Also, make sure you jump up and not back. There's a real tendency to want to get around as quickly as possible, resulting in jumping backwards instead of up, which actually hampers how quickly you can get around in the tuck position.

Oh, and standing back tucks from the floor are awesome!

Hope this helps,

Mike