View Single Post
Old 01-17-2011, 05:24 PM   #13
Doug Lantz

Profile:
Re: Deadlifts: drop or put down?

Mr. Simmons,

You make compelling points, I'd like to hear to your replies to my replies.

I think everyone involved in this discussion will benefit.

I may well be wrong about the injury potential of dropping a deadlift, I was thinking out loud there. However I don't agree that it's a "silly" thought.

I recall reading a competitors post that they injured themselves dropping a deadlift but can't recall details. For all I know they dropped it on their foot.

You are of course correct that few of us will ever "need" to pick up 500 pounds, squat 5 reps, etc but I believe the point of most training is just to increase GPP.

Rip points out in SSBBT "A 400 pound deadlift makes picking up an 85 pound box much more manageable"

You said in your post "We are working to develop peak athletic performance not to duplicate the things we do in everyday life.

Same as above, my understanding is that "training" should not "duplicate" the exact movements used in real life.

"Practice" is the place for duplication, there you apply the GPP acquired in your training correct ?

Lastly, I see in your signature that you deadlift 505.
I'm sure many people reading this deadlift far less, I'm about 200 pounds short of that myself.

Rip has stated that once a trainee can deadlift in the low to mid 400's it's time to train the top portion of the movement with rack pulls and the bottom with haltings because as you stated, the amount of stress is simply too great to recover from in any reasonable time frame.

Also as you stated, it's the eccentric portion of the lift that creates the most stress. So at your level of advancement, dropping the bar makes sense.

However I still think (and the OP agreed) that setting the bar down makes good sense for us lesser trainees because we are training for basic GPP rather than peak athletic performance.

Training and practicing setting down what we pick up is part of that.