Old 12-15-2007, 06:13 PM   #26
Scott Clark

Profile:

Re: Suggestions for whey protein

Almost..... This should last everyone for a while

Quote:
How is Your Whey Processed?
>
> Currently, there are several grades of whey protein. Will Brink, a well known expert on sports nutrition, covers the difference between whey protein powders extensively in a two article series titled, "The Whey It Is." (These articles can be found at www.bodybuildingforyou.com. While I am suggesting you read these articles to inform yourself, I am not endorsing the products.)
>
> The quality of the whey protein supplements/powders you purchase will be influenced by:
>
> The quality of the source material (milk): commercially farmed, organically farmed, certified organic and biodynamic.
> Processing of the source material (milk), such as pasteurization, shipping, stabilizing, etc. In my opinion and experience, organically produced milk that has been pasteurized is dramatically less nutritious in any form than a raw source product.
> Handling of the whey itself in the journey from the milk processing factory to the protein powder manufacturer: shipped in tanker trucks (whey is inherently unstable and typically has to be chemically stabilized) and how it is handled and stored when it arrives at the manufacture point will potentially influence product quality.
> Clinically, many of my associates, be they medical doctors, naturopathic doctors, holistic health practitioners or other C.H.E.K Nutrition and Lifestyle Coaches (NLCs) and I have found that regardless of the volume of so-called “scientific papers” backing whey protein powders, there are very few clinically observable benefits from pasteurized whey protein supplements. To give you an example of how careful you have to be, and how people are commonly deceived, ConsumerLab.com’s recent testing of nutrition bars found that 60% of the products did not meet their label claims. Look at the comments regarding tests on three of the protein bars tested by Consumer Labs (www.ConsumerLabs.com):
>
> A protein bar contained 33% more carbohydrates (8.3 grams) than its stated 25 grams.
> A low-carb bar contained 50% more (1 gram) of saturated fat than its stated 2 grams.
> An energy/nutrition bar contained approximately 27% more saturated fat (.8 grams) than the 3 grams claimed.
> While the protein and meal replacement products they tested did fare better, it should interest you to know that many of these products are made and/or produced from the same companies. That said, I think you are looking at industry ethics here. Properly investigated, I’m confident you would find that 98% of what you are buying in the name of “health” is actually junk — expensive junk at that!
>
> Some of my immediate concerns regarding the use of whey protein powder supplementation by powder or in protein bars are:
>
> Many, if not most, have cheap synthetic vitamins added to them. Synthetic vitamins, in my opinion, should only be used for their drug-like effects on the body and only by those so qualified to prescribe and manage such effects. Synthetic vitamins have also been found to produce other vitamin deficiencies in the body. Personally, I encourage all C.H.E.K NLC practitioners to avoid them.
> Many have processed sugars in them, which cause all the problems associated with sugar consumption in general. If you want sugar, eat real food, and you will get sweet nutrition. Anything else is likely to have what Weston A. Price calls a displacing effect, meaning that it costs your body more to digest, metabolize, assimilate and eliminate than it provides in nutrition; therefore, it displaces or robs you of nutrition!
> Many have stabilizers, additives, preservatives and artificial colorings in them. On investigation, you will find that 30-50% of these produce gastrointestinal (GI) inflammation. GI inflammation, in turn, leads to leaky gut syndrome, which causes a host of problems from there, not the least of which may well be due to intolerance to your whey products!
> Frequently, they use additional cheap protein supplements to bolster the total protein content, such as soy protein isolates (see my article titled "Sans Soy!") and casein. Robert Rowkowski, D.C., a lecturer for the Metagenics Nutraceutical Corporation explains in his lectures on weight loss that many people are addicted to casein containing products, including general dairy. He states that this is caused when the consumer’s digestive system is ineffective at breaking down the dairy proteins. Undigested casein can result in the production of caso-morphogins, and these morphine-like molecules actually have a drug-like effect on the body and, without direct realization, the consumer is actually becoming addicted to the casein containing products they are eating. Things to consider in light of the frequent use of casein in protein powder and protein bar supplements are:
> Some people are allergic to casein, which is one of the most difficult proteins for the body to digest.
> Butter and cream contain little lactose or casein.
> Fermented or soured butter and cream are easier to digest.
> In addition, an article published on www.mercola.com (Discover Magazine 8/00 by Dr. T. Colin Campbell) expressed some concerns regarding casein consumption. Campbell conducted a series of experiments at Cornell University and Virginia Tech that found rats given a brief initial exposure to aflatoxin, a carcinogen produced by mold growth, tended to develop liver cancer when fed casein, the main protein in milk. “We could turn on or turn off the cancer growth by increasing or decreasing the amount of casein.” Campbell also did research by feeding casein to rats (15-20% of their diet - by weight - from casein). He found that the threshold amount of casein required for switching on tumor growth averaged around 10% of the diet.
> Casein has also been found to act as an enzyme inhibitor.
> The fats included with most commercial whey protein products are poor quality and often processed.
> Dieters are often tempted to add protein powders to up the protein content without adding too many calories at the same time. The result can be a diet unnaturally high in protein, something that all primitive peoples avoided. Protein requires vitamin A and other fat soluble vitamins for its metabolism, and a diet too high in protein without adequate fat rapidly depletes vitamin A stores, leading to serious consequences such as heart arrhythmias, kidney problems, autoimmune disease and thyroid disorders. Diets too high in protein also cause a negative calcium balance, where more calcium is lost compared to the amount taken in. This condition can lead to bone loss and nervous system disorders, problems rampant among the exercising and non-exercising population alike!
> A clue to making high protein diets and protein supplementation in general a success comes from studies of the diets of carnivores like dogs and lions. Weston Price reported that lions could not breed in captivity when fed on steak alone. When liver was added, they bred easily. When lions in Africa are fed exclusively on muscle meats, they become cripples due to spinal collapse. When they were given bones that they could crush, the problem resolved itself. Bones provide calcium and liver provides vitamin A — among many other nutrients — working synergistically with the protein in muscle meats. Those on the Atkins diet or similar high protein diets should eat liver at least once a week and/or take cod liver oil daily along with the use of bone broths in soups and stews.
>
> Fibro-proteins result when the whey in milk is exposed to the heat of pasteurization or any processing methods that denature the whey proteins. Fibro-proteins are typically very hard to digest and can produce the same digestive discomfort that eating high-fiber foods do. This is particularly a problem for those that are, in metabolic typing terminology, Protein Types. This is because protein types typically come from genetic stock emanating from cold regions of the world or places with long winters (North American Indians, Eskimos, Irish and British for example), and their bodies have not learned to process high protein foods/diets effectively.
> Many of my patients and athletes using whey protein powders were having allergic or intolerance reactions to them. In fact, milk and dairy products of all types are the most likely to trigger allergic responses because some 20 substances in cows milk are human allergens. It is worthy to note that many of my patients/clients who can’t typically tolerate dairy products can consume raw dairy with little or no trouble. This is likely due to the fact that raw dairy products, including whey, remain “living foods” with enzymatic and nutritional systems intact.
> Once taken off the whey protein supplements, many aggravating conditions cleared up, including:
> Skin problems
> Respiratory problems, including excess phlegm production, sinus and ear congestion
> Fatigue
> Headaches
> Water retention
> Constipation
> Gas
> Poor concentration and brain fog
> Pungent sweat
> Muscle and joint aches and pains
> Digestive troubles
> Why Are Whey Protein Powders Being Used?
>
> Whey used to be considered a dairy industry waste product. When cheese, butter and cream were made on the farm, the whey and skim milk were given to the pigs and chickens. But today, these products are made in factories far from the farms where they originated, so the industry has a "whey problem." Until recently, the actual cost to get rid of whey by dumping it in sewer systems, rivers, on roads or fields or feeding it to pigs was equal to or slightly more than the value of whey as a commodity. The problem was solved by manufacturers that could afford the more advanced technology needed for drying the skim milk and whey at high temperatures and putting the powders into energy drinks, body building powders and high-protein bars.