View Single Post
Old 05-07-2019, 08:44 AM   #2083
Vic McQuaide

Profile:
Re: 2014 45-49 Fittest on the Planet goal

Recap- Thursday had a lack luster performance of 30 snatches/ 30 strict hspu. Just did not go for it, lack of passion.

Friday was a long work day. So just recovery and rehab.

Saturday was 2 events. I got in early because my house had Gracen, the cleaning crew, the babysitter. Just went in and stretched and got ready for-

5 rounds of
4 MU rings
13 s2o- 135
5 rounds of
4 MU rings
7 s2o 185

I was just going to blitz it doing 4 MU un broken for as long as possible. They do the s2o un broken as long as possible. Giving me more time to do the 2nd heavy half of the workout or as much as possible. My wise coach steered me away from that silly idea. We decided to do 2/2 the whole way and 3 sets on the 13 just to keep the pulse down. 8:18 for the first 5 rounds feeling good about the next 6:42 of the workout. Stayed with 2/2 and did 2-3 sets on the 7. Finished the 8th round with :45 seconds. Did a quick MU. Then was rushed on the next two attempts. Did not make them. But did put up 119 score. It was a great plan for my capabilities. And I stuck with it. I would say I check off that workout. Ended up getting 4th pending any late scores coming in. I had a gang of people around me and doing the workout, some in support and some doing the Qual themselves. Maybe 12 beasts in the gym. Taking turns doing the different ones.

Enter the 80 bar facing burpees followed by a 4k row. At least its not 5k right. I went 5:36 for the burpees. And held a 2:00 pace average for the 3k then went down to 1:55 and finished at 1:48 pace. 21:36 . It was ideal conditions. I was saying would not do that one again. My coach was very happy with the day. Recovery and rehab. 3 down and 2 to go.

Sunday with Alex and Jeff- We also had a 55+ lady join us for some party time.

3 rft
15 dl 225- did 6/5/4 in all 3 rounds
90 dubs- R1- 50/25/15 R2- 40/30/20 R3- 4/26/15/25/20 ish was hard
35 ohs 75#- R1- 21/14 R2- 21/15 R3- 11/10/7/7 was hard

10:12 was a great score. Cross that one off. Ended up being #3 score.

Cool down Cindy- 5 air squats/ 10 cal row/ 15 shoulder rehab reps

Coach Dawn and Corey wanted me to walk thru the 45's a bit with just 75#.
10 thrusters/ 10 t2b/ 10 power cleans/ 5/5 c2b

Dawn pointed out that my c2b form starts out well but then when I get tired my legs stop going forward as much as they should to get that good kip. Sorted them out.

Had Gracen's 1 year birthday party. About 30 peeps showed up.

Enter the longest day in the history of the gym for me. Monday had to help Gracen get his 1 year shots. My GF is skwemish around the shots. So I had to do it. No problems.

Went to the gym to warm up for the 45's. I was told it was super grippy. Ended up being true as a MF.

8 min AMRAP
45 thrusters- 12/12/11/5/5 done in 2:15 stuck with the plan
45 T2B- 10/10/8 then the workout kicked. 5/4/3/3/1/1 time clock 4:30ish
Enter the clean 95# wow it ate my breakfast- all sets of 5 took 3 min.
I had :28 left for c2b- ran or I thought I ran but it was in slow motion. Did 6 singles as fast as possible. 141 this I thought would be the end of me. My grip was gone, my mindset blown. And I still had re-do time to do. It was about 11:30 at this time. I put on the ice pack and chilled. My two sinister coaches were planning the day. I had to re do the snatch/strict hspu workout after lunch or at 3PM. I was not in a right state of mind after the 45's killed me.

We went out for some food and chilled. I reminded myself that I said I would do what it takes to turn in 5 solid scores. If the leader board was a water board I would have drowned a 1000 deaths this weekend. I got back in the right mind set and was ready to take on the 30/30. Last time I did 59 out of 60 reps. I made a deal with the coaches if I go sub 5 I don't have to do anymore. 3.2.1 I was off- 12 in the first min, 10 in the second min and then 8 in :50 ish seconds. Right after finishing the 30 135# snatches up on the wall. I used 10# plates and a skull mat this time. I had to try something different. My :06 faster snatches and about :10 with no rest between the two movements put me on mostly 3's the whole way. Until sub 5 was out of the question. I just wanted to finish this. I had to go to 2's for 25/26 and 27/28 and then 29/Failed 30. Rest up, shake out my arms and grunt a bit and blasted to the finish. 5:48. Felt great to finish the workout.

Was about 3:15PM. We had 1:45 left to post scores. I put in all of them. . The burpee row- I really did not want to do this one again. I thought I maxed out but my 21:36 had about 30 peeps around it or bettering it. So I had to come up with a better plan. I told Dawn that I was going to go sub 5 on the burpees. They are barfacing ones to boot. She looked at me like I was crazy. Then I said I would hold 2:00 pace on the rower. Possible to get :36 seconds better total with the faster burpees. It was getting late. They were sorting out the film crew. I enlisted a fellow Marine to row with me and get on my when the rower went slower than the pace set forth. I think that we started the workout at 4:35 or 25 min before last chance score update. 3..2..1 go. I was off his 20 in the 1st min. I could hear Coach Dawn saying ok.. ok.. Had almost 39 or so done by min 2. I had a good bounce off the ground and quickly over to the other side. Back and forth.. Then her tone changed I could here all right.. all right.. where is this guy coming from. The bounce off the ground was less bounce more ground and pound but I had to make my sub 5. I just kept on going back and forth. 4:58 ish. Quickly on the rower. I was spent. I did my quick 3 strokes and the setting was on 7 this time. I was about 100 meters into it and was thinking oh snap I don't know if I can do this. Alan was rowing his rower right next to me telling me I can do this, and If I hit 2:01 go faster. Dawn was saying this guys going to do it. I was in some pain for sure. Those two other workouts took something out of me. Push the burpee's was a feat to themselves. So 1k down in about 4:02 so basically on time. I had to make this even if I get 1 second faster than last time. I had some troubles but mostly 2:00 or 1:59, 2:01, 2:02 then dawn, corey, alan would chatter. Dawn warned me that the 3rd k would be the hardest. I was hurting and hit 2k right at 8:00 right on pace. Well that 3rd k broke me. Dawn went to get me some water I had her throw it on my head. That helped from 2000 to 2300 then at that time I broke. The tool of the workout, workouts, weekend, like busted me. I threw in the towel and stopped rowing. Before that time the people around us had grown to sounded like many. Curse words were cast my way, do it , start F@#$ing rowing again. So I did. It was like a new workout. Those 5 seconds changed me. I just had to get to 3k then I would make it. I had many people trying to finesse me to the 2:00 pace but it seemed comfortable. Even 1:58. I started believing in myself and the effort. The community did for me what I could not do myself. The carried me to 3k then they said speed up.. ouch.. speed up.. Ok 1:56-1:57 pace from one last dump of cold water on the head.. lets go 3000-3500 then they said to. I went a slow but steady increased pace to end 4k at 1:48 pace. Or 21:05.. :31 second improvement. About 35 spots on the water board. Opps leader board. Then after finishing we had 2 min to log the score. I said someone log the score quick.

Cool down and happy that I tried my best. I did not know how I did and really did not think that I had a chance for top 10 with some of the scores? But so far I am in 4th. Maybe someone turns in a late score or two. Next stop is the video review and if those clear off to the games for the 3rd time. Keeping up the possibility of the trifecta. That would be something.

I look forward to training hard and smart so that what ever is announced I can say I am ready for that.
Owner of Crossfitdarkside.com Fran: 2:36 Diane: 2:30 Jackie 5:43 Mary 15+ rounds Helen 6:58

Last edited by Vic McQuaide : 05-07-2019 at 09:08 AM.