View Single Post
Old 11-16-2004, 02:53 AM   #5
Paul Kayley

Profile:
In my experience, if you are used to a low carbohydrate regime, then reintroducing carbs to help with increased muscular glucose requirements due to a greater workload is a must. Glucose is essential for high intensity work, you will use a lot. On a rerstricted carbohydrate intake, this will mainly be derived from protein. However, I believe only about 50% of amino acids are glucogenic, the rest being ketogenic, thus easily resulting in a less than optimal glucose supply.

The big problem with carbs is the hormonal stress which they can inflict if treated poorly, that is too rapid delivery, or overall supply over stepping demand. The opposite is also a problem though, not getting enough glucose and supplying it too slowly (gluconeogenesis in the very active trainer).

When exercising at moderate-high intensities, the pancreatic production of insulin is inhibited, while vascular blood supply and insulin-free glucose transport to the muscles and organs is very good. This IMO is one of the best times to deliver a good portion of your day's glucose requirements without having to worry about insulin. I use my favorite high GI carbs during these sessions. (Dont worry so much about all the speculation relating to high blood sugars suppressing growth hormone production).

Carbs are not essential to Joe Public doing no exercise, but they are very beneficial to athletes if used with respect at the right time, in my humble opinion.