View Single Post
Old 01-27-2008, 11:08 AM   #4
Keith Stevens

Profile:
Re: Pull-up bar/dip station issue

Nice Space!!!!!!
A few ideas I've had and/or used
For a pull-up bar, use black or galvanized steel pipe(1 in), and attach it to the floor joist(they seem higher than the beam) with 90 degree angle and 4-6 inch nipple(make room for your head) and flanges.
If you want to make the grip more difficult, place two pieces of PVC on the pipe, not to big so you can move them out of the way.
Homemade rings from PVC, takes a little work, there are great boards on how to make them(I haven't tried yet) or 1-1 1/2 inch electrical conduit( I believe thats correct, shaped like a wide U). These are about $2 a piece, add in $7-10 for straps and you have very effective rings cheap.
For dips, you can use the rings, but if you want something separate, you can attach flanges and black or galvanized pipe the the wall.
These were the first three things that I did, and they all work great.
Medicine ball-$3 basketball from Target, 50lb bag of sand and a tire repair kit.
Cut a hole in the ball(try to keep it small) fill and weigh, use the kit to seal it up. You can duct tape the ball for added support.
Sand bag-Fill a heavy duty garbage bag with sand, tie it off, put that in another bag, tie off, put both of those in a third, seems like overkill but worth it. I started off with way to much sand to begin with so I have made several smaller bags and can add weight accordingly. Place that in a ruc sac and go to town.
Parrallettes are cheap and easy too, let me know if your interested in those as well.
Sorry for the run on, I hope this all makes sense, let me know if it doesn't.
Have fun and use the search function on the message board, you can find anything.
Keith