View Single Post
Old 12-05-2015, 12:01 AM   #7
Sean J Hunter

Profile:
Re: Redefining the relationship between Power and Intensity

Not a physics guy, not much of a kinesiology guy either, for that matter, but here's my take on it...might be wrong...I look forward to being corrected.

1) Its easy to get bogged down in the word Intensity. When looking for a word to decribe what this 'thing' is, it's probably the best worst thing we could find in Phsyics vocab to decribe it. My understanding is it's technically a deriviative of the actual Physics term. So kinda correct.

2) I think we might be mixing up effort with intensity here, two different things in my book.

Intensity is a metric used to decribe the relationsbhip between amount of resource used per cycle (rep) and the number of cycles (reps) when there's a fixed variable of wanting to use 100% of the resource (go to max reps) i.e. 5RM = 87.5% of 1RM.

Effort is how much of that resource you use, or more precisely how much you deplete.

For example, my 1RM DL is 200kg. my 5RM is 87.5% of this (less intense) = 175kg. And on deload days I do 70% 5RMs = 122.5. (less effort) (but I still do 3 sets = volume)

Intensity = 100% 87.5% 87.5%
Effort = 100% 100% 70%

Another example is how you don't want novice lifters lifting to 100% effort every lift otherwise it encourages an early stall effect.

So a novice may do 5RM for 3 sets (volume) but you want him lifting to 95% effort (i.e. last rep should be fast, not a grind). That's one reason why its poor programming to simply say do 3 x 5 DL to a new PR for a noivce, they're gonna overlift and stall early, or underlift and not gain. Targeted Effort = Optimal novice gains.

Intensity vs Effort

Still can't speak into the Power = Intensity thing. But it's interesting. Do we have a link to Coaches discussion on this?

Sean

Last edited by Sean J Hunter; 12-05-2015 at 12:25 AM..