View Single Post
Old 11-07-2012, 09:07 AM   #4
Alex Beasley

Profile:
Re: Are handstand push ups a good sub for the press?

Clint - basically I've got a whole host of imbalances and the like. Barbell bench pressing is practically impossible because it always results in incredibly shore shoulders. Upper traps are usually hunched up as they're too dominant over the lower ones, shoulder imbalances etc....just a whole mess of stuff, really. Thanks for the advice though - I've got a whole list of stretches, exercises etc that I'm doing to resolve my issues, they help immensely. With time, it should be alright.

John - thanks for the input. If it gets to the point that I'm able to crank out HSPU with ease, I could always just elevate my hands to allow me to go further down. As for doing both, unfortunately pressing does tend to cause pain, particularly when holding the bar overhead. Probably has something to do with the lack of range of motion in my shoulders; if I just hold my hands up overhead, no bar in hand, in an effort to have them in line with my head as if I were pressing, they're almost always slightly in front of me, and it causes discomfort if I pull them back to make them straight above me. My guess is that barbell pressing hurts because my body is automatically pulling the weight back out of habit, but of course it hurts due to it being beyond my range of motion.

In any case, I appreciate the answers, thanks for your input guys!