View Single Post
Old 06-13-2007, 12:24 PM   #1
Tom Fetter

Profile:
My 8 year old wants to give it a go. He's already doing karate (and CrossFit), has done well in gymnastics and soccer too. Very athletic little guy - with emphasis on the "little" - a bit under 60 pounds.

There's a decent amateur boxing club in town, that tries to focus on safety. And a simply wonderful man (grandfather of a couple of my lad's friends) is now going to get involved with the club. Turns out that John was a very successful amateur welterweight (UK schoolboy's champ, UK army champ, 105-3 amateur record), and has offered to teach my lad, if my wife and I agree. He thinks Nat's a good fit for the sport - balance, strength, hand speed, physical courage.

I can think of no better mentor - a wildly lovely man who, once retired from his "real" job, began a very successful international engineering consulting firm. Very bright, very artistic, very disciplined ... I'd love for my kid to connect with John.

My wife's worried about boxing's safety - to a lesser degree, so am I. Especially for someone so young. In the amateur game, are the worries unfounded? Or should we think twice.

t.

(Message edited by TomF on June 13, 2007)