View Single Post
Old 02-27-2005, 08:14 PM   #1
Steve Nelson

Profile:  
Hey all, just wanted to introduce myself. I've been checking out the Crossfit site for about a week and a half now and must say I'm hooked.

Perhaps a little background: About two years ago I decided (well, my doctor really decided) that I needed to take better care of myself. I've always been a big guy, 6'2", 285BW at my heaviest. So I started running and since then have completed the Portland Marathon (at 39 years and 270 lbs!) and a couple of half marathons. I've dropped down to 235BW, my triglycerides are at 70, my total cholesterol is about 135 with the proper ratio of HDL to LDL, and overall I feel much better.

What's been lacking is any kind of improvement in strength or performance. I've started taking Krav Maga classes and really enjoy it, but I know I'm not getting the kind of strength training and overall fitness that Crossfit has to offer.

I haven't started the WOD's yet, I'm looking at putting together a gym in my garage. I did pick up the Garage Gym issue of the Crossfit Journal so I have a pretty good idea of where to start. Problem is that I travel from time to time and the next two weeks is one of the times.

The other constraint I have is lack of ceiling height. My garage is finished, with about a 8.5 foot ceiling, so there's really not much room in there for a pull up bar or rings or climbing rope. I'm thinking of putting them outside. Afterall, I run in the rain, why not do pull-ups in the rain as well? I've got plenty of yard space, anyone else in the Northwest braving the elements?

Anyway, that's about it. Looking forward to the adventure!