View Single Post
Old 10-21-2014, 10:17 AM   #1
Tim Squires

Profile:
Life Changes, Priorities and Program Design

I’ve spent the better part of two years following a fairly strict 3 days on, one day off, two days on, one day off competitive CrossFit/weightlifting schedule. With life changes, basketball season beginning and simply wanting to take a step back from competition, I’ve decided to fit my programming around my life, as opposed to fitting my life around my programming. Based on the new schedule, training will now be two days on, one day off, two days on, two days off.

I haven’t been able to find a dedicated program set to this structure which has led to me to work on designing my own…obviously not ideal. In the past I’ve spent over a year following Outlaw, a year following Invicitus, and most recently 6 months following a dedicated LSUS/Mash weightlifting program. I’d like the new program to have some of these basic outlines:

· 3 days of squatting per week. Two back squat, one front squat based on a Mash squat program.
· Two dedicated weightlifting days. Technique/volume day and a “Max Out” day.
· Gymnastics work twice a week.
· Three metcons a week.
· Two days of Hypertrophy/Bodybuilding.
· Each training day MAXIMUM of 1.5 hours.
· Basketball twice a week.

Here’s a rough draft of what I’ve come up with:

Monday- Basketball Games
Tuesday- Snatch and Clean and Jerk Volume/Percentage work, Front Squat, Short metcon.
Wednesday- Back Squat, Bench Press, Pull Ups, Leg/Chest/Arm/Midline Hypertrophy
Thursday- Basketball Games/Active Recovery Day.
Friday- Max Snatch and CJ, Medium metcon.
Saturday- Back Squat, Split Jerk, Deadlift/HSPU progression EMOM work, metcon.
Sunday- Back/Shoulders/Arm/Midline Hypertrophy

Thoughts and opinions? The back to back squatting days is obviously not ideal, and the extra Sunday BB day may be wishful thinking at this point, but I could not come up with a better way of organizing based on the requirements I mentioned above. Also note that both basketball days truly are “active recovery days” and shouldn’t lead to any overexertion for the following day’s training.