View Single Post
Old 03-29-2010, 02:24 PM   #1
Benjamin R. Greene

Profile:
My Midlife Crisis

I just started Cross-Fit yesterday, but I am very excited about this opportunity. I have studied exercise and fitness all my life and have long thought that sprinters, Olympic lifters, and gymnasts have the kind of bodies I wanted to look like. The emaciated marathon runner is not an attractive role model.
I have extensive experience in martial arts and weightlifting. I have an intermittent history in exercise, but I never have been able to be consistent with my workouts. I have all the usual excuses: I'm too tired, too sore, I think I might be getting a cold, I will have a drink and hit it tomorrow, the usual.
I am making a lot of personal changes in my life, including downsizing my business and trying to change my personal habits, so I figured devoting myself to a regular program of intense physical exercise fit right in. I really hope I can find the personal discipline to stick with this program. I know I could really use it. Last week I went to an MMA gym. I dominated two fighters, but the third guy whooped me pretty hard and I ended up taking a trip to the emergency room with an arm injury. I wasn't seriously hurt, thank God, but it was a wake up call.
In addition, I went on vacation recently and had some vacation photos taken. I looked terrible, like the out of shape middle-aged man with a beer belly I am. Very motivating.
On the good side, I ranked between intermediate and advanced on my beginning CFT, so that is pretty good news. Hopefully, I can improve on that. Also, my body fat is 19.8% percent, which is on the high end of normal. I am on the Paleo diet, although I regularly cheat. I am 41 years old, about 200 lbs, 5'9", for the record.
So, enough about my personal issues, on to the workouts. Yesterday, I did Saturday's routine in order to have a workout "in the bank" in case I missed one due to work or travel obligations. I felt pretty good, as I did it as Rx'd at 135 all the way through.
Today's workout was instant humility. I could only do one round, with tuck jumps substituting for the double unders, and with a 54 lb kettlebell. I finished in about 10 minutes. I couldn't even do one double under, and I really tried. Even throwing a tantrum didn't help.
By the way, I hope someone finds some encouragement someday from my scribblings about my personal issues. Let me know if you do.