Thread: Nutrient Timing
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2002, 11:07 PM   #18
Tyler Hass

Profile:
Robb, I have yet to mention parallelettes in my magazine, although I probably will at some point, because they are a lot of fun.
As for KB's, they are awesome, but if on a tight budget, you could buy a 300lb Oly set and a few dumbbells and get more bang for your buck. However, I think Kettlebells are far more fun and versatile than dumbbells. I have gotten an incredible amount of mileage out of just my 1 pood (36 pound), although I now have a 1.5 and 2 pood. The options are endless with these!
I would also highly recommend Jumpstretch Flex Bands (www.jumpstretch.com). These can be used for stretching and to add more resistance to a varitey of exercises.
In addition to this, you can make some makeshift gymnastics rings. Just think "hanging handles", rather than going for an actually ring shape. Ab wheels are also a pretty good value for $9, although you can do the same thing with low rings.
My own dorm room gym consists of 3 KB's, pairs of mini,light,medium and heavy Flex Bands, an ab wheel, Power Putty, Dynaband (almost useless now that I have JS bands) and a pair of 15 lb Clubbells which are awesome. This entire set-up fits underneath my bed. I also have a pair of climbing grips hanging over my door. The only other form of resistance training I do is kicking in my door every week or two (not kidding!) and then fix the door. That's what I love about frat life, mess stuff up and then it's your responsibility to fix it or live with it.
Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more questions. Sorry, but I can't help too much with the intricacies of diet. All I know is calorie balance theory. For that I would recommend Greg Ellis' book, Ultimate Diet Secrets.