View Single Post
Old 04-25-2006, 04:36 AM   #1
Graham Hayes

Profile:
For the past two months I've been focussing on improving my front squat since it was the limiting factor in my clean and jerk. I did front squats once a week, once every other triplet ie

Day 1: WOD
Day 2: WOD
Day 3: WOD
Day 4: Rest
Day 5: WOD
Day 6: Front squats
Day 7: WOD
Day 8: Rest

The front squats weren't always on day 6, but replaced the most appropriate WOD like another lifting focus day. The workouts were 8 sets of 3 front squats with one weight. I started at 85kg which was ~80% of my max and added 2.5kg every week. My plan was to keep adding 2.5kg until I was unable to complete the workout. I finally failed two months later on the sixth set with 105kg, which was my 1RM before starting.

The next week I tested my max in both the front and back squat and got 115kg and 120kg for a +10kg and +5kg pr respectively. Yesterday I was shooting for a new clean and jerk pr, unfortunately neglecting my jerk past two months left my form ropey and lacking in confidence, this saw it regress 2.5kg to 90kg. But my squat clean came in at 100kg for a 7.5kg pr.

I don't know how good that progress is, but I'm calling it a success. I found that if you're wishing for a car accident or lightning to strike you down so you don't have to attend your next squat workout you must be doing something right. Anyway hope this is usefull to someone.